Sunday, October 3, 2010

80 days left!

Wow! I can't believe I am saying this but I only have 80 days left in the UK.  My first three weeks have flew by.  In my first three weeks in the UK, I have started classes, traveled to London, and made myself accustom to Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University.


On a lighter note, this week and weekend was amazing.  We started classes this week and I got to meet a bunch of new students and obviously my tutors, who have been extremely nice and helpful this first week. I am excited to learn in this education environment.  It's very different from American universities in the sense that we only meet once a week for two hours unless it is a double credit course and you meet twice a week for two hours.  There is a lot less face time and more independent study required.  I think it could be challenging, but very rewarding at the same time.  Also, in UK universities, they have much less coursework and examinations.  I only have one project per course for my grades while I am here whereas in the US I would have several homework pieces and a couple exams per semester.  


This weekend brought great joy and excitement to my life.  On Friday night, I took a risk and tried food I have never seen or heard of in my life before.  Curry food, authentic to the Indian culture.  In Manchester, there is a street called Curry Mile that is full of curry food and restaurants.  I went with five other friends and experienced this kind of food.  I tried Chicken Dupiaza curry, which I will have to say was absolutely amazing.  It was chicken pieces with onion and garlic in a curry and herb sauce.  I would highly recommend to anyone.


Today I went to the international society's tea party.  It was so great we had small sandwiches, scones, desserts, and wonderful tea.  I met some great people from Spain, Germany, Turkey, and the United States at my time.  We mainly talked about why we came to Manchester and what we were studying.  It is so great to hear everybody's reason why, they are all so unique and different.  


All in all, I will have to say I am so happy I decided to take a semester abroad.  I have learned so much in the short amount I have already been here and I can't imagine what will become of the coming weeks. I feel as if I have a broader understanding of the world diversity already.  I feel so fortunate to learn about other cultures and their diversity from my own culture.  


Cheers and love from England. xoxo allie

No comments:

Post a Comment